Monday, April 02, 2007

Testing my pet parent skills

So much has been said about the recent pet food recall that I'm not sure where to start.
Angus and Cuya had been eating some of the recalled food, which is cause for alarm. He gets wet food because at almost-14, his teeth are not in great shape and he's not a big fan of dry food only. Cuya gets wet food because of the extra water it provides - cats need water and some don't drink enough. Thankfully, I don't feed them the amounts of wet food prescribed on the packages. They'd both be big as a house if I did. Obviously I'm hoping their food wasn't tainted, but I feel safer because their exposure has been to a lesser degree.
Now we find out that some dry foods have been contaminated. That's all Cerberus eats. Their food hasn't shown up on the recall list, but more foods are being added every day. So what to do.
I'm heading out to PetsMart in a little while, armed with some recommendations, in search of food that will keep my dogs healthy and just plain alive. I think we'll be making wholesale changes in the critter diet - no more wheat gluten (if possible) and I'm trying to eliminate corn as well. We will see how it goes.

Recall Resources:
PetSitUSA.com blog post about "safe foods"

PetsMart.com and their Smart Nutrition Selector

Menu Foods recall info

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home