Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pearl

Visited my grandmother at the nursing home on Saturday. She is in the Alzheimer's unit for her safety. There are good days, there are wobbly days, and then, there are days like this....

Dix: (pulling on bed guardrail - up, down, and all around) I can't get this thing down.
Mom o' Dix: Move and let me try (pulls unsuccessfully also). How are you supposed to get this thing down?
Grandma o' Dix: Pull the button, Hazel! (referring to her sister-in-law, who was 25 miles away)
Dix: (pulling on the button and the rail) I can't get it to work. I don't know what to do to it.
Dad o' Dix: Let's see if we can get this one down (guardrail on the other bed).
Daddy and I turned to the other bed to work on it, while my mother headed to the hallway to get some help. Before we could do anything more, my grandmother went over to the bed and fixed the rail, lowering it with ease. We looked at her, very surprised.
Mom o' Dix: What did she do? How did she do that?
Dix: She pulled the button, Hazel!

And later...
Grandma o' Dix: Where's Lee sitting? (asking about her deceased oldest sister)
Dad o' Dix: Yoohoo, I'm right over here! (waving to Grandma)
Grandma o' Dix: (leaning past Dix and looking at Dad) That ain't Lee, that's Al! (dead sister's husband)
Raucous laughter ensued from Mom o', Dad o', and Dix.

For a brief time, I had my grandmother back.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I know where you are coming from, my Dad's Mother had what was apparently Alzheimer's but that wasn't as well known back then. It can be trying to say the least.

3/10/2006 2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home