Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The holy grail

At 6:08 p.m. tonight, I officially lost my Jacksonville City Nights virginity. I had managed to avoid all the leaks on the internet, hearing only the live versions of the new songs at the two shows I attended as well as on the two bootlegs I have from the tour.

It was an epic journey to attain the CD. I thought for sure that the Best Buy in Aberdeen would have it, so I headed over after work. No such luck. The sales associate (he was not even close to qualifying for the Geek Squad) was unable to help me find the CD. In retrospect, and after hearing from the LMGC that it was filed incorrectly at his Best Buy, I should have had the sales boy check the computer. But I did not. Instead, I left Aberdeen, drove the 18 miles back to Raeford, then 20 more up to Fayetteville to Best Buy. I did call the store before heading out, to check if *they* had it in stock.
Geek Squad fellow: What was the name of the artist again?
Dix: Ryan Adams. The CD is titled "Jacksonville City Nights."
Geek Squad fellow: OK. Bryan Adams.
Dix: NO. RRRRRyan Adams. No B. Not Bryan. Just R Y A N.
Geek Squad fellow: OK. I'll check. (twenty seconds pass) Is the CD called "Jacksonville City Nights?"
Dix: Did you not listen to me? (in my head)
Dix: Yes, that's it. (what I really said)

For the record, the guy in the first Best Buy did the same thing. Asked if I meant Bryan Adams. No I did not, thank you very much.
I know how much it ticks me off when people can't spell or pronounce my name. And today I had an inkling of how incredibly disgusting it must be to live your live being confused with a sappy 80's rocker Canadian.
On a good note, the long drive home allowed me to listen to the entire CD. It's very country - old school country. But I like it. It is a little strange to hear the studio versions of songs you have only heard live, and I'm not sure that I've warmed up to a couple of the studio versions yet, but it's a strong CD, and worth many listens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home