Monday, July 18, 2005

Recovery room

I had the cystoscopy and ureteroscopy this morning. My urologist found the offending kidney stone and extracted it. The pain I'm going through now is from the procedure itself and the stent that will stay in me until Friday.
I think the worst part was getting the IV. The nurse had a hard time finding a vein, since I'd had nothing to eat or drink for over 12 hours. Her first try on the back of my hand failed miserably and it felt like she was a Roto-Rooter employee digging around with the needle.
All the hospital personnel were very supportive throughout the entire procedure. Big props to my anesthesiologist. He talked me through the spinal injection and gently massaged the back of my head and neck during the ureteroscopy part. I could feel pressure and a little pain, and he was quick to give me more sedation.
A funny moment - as the OR staff was gathering and prepping me, waiting for my urologist, I thought I heard a familiar voice. "Is that Jason?" I asked, and sure enough, it was. He chuckled and said, "You again!"
OK...back to the couch for some more rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home