Saturday, October 01, 2005

Man that rocks, one week on

Last Saturday - OAK Team cd release party. For those of you unfamiliar with the Olympic Ass Kickin Team, get familiar with them. Great band, fun music. I first heard the OAK Team live in December 2004. "Daddy Had a Wreck" and "Thunderbird" became instant favorites. The LMGC and I heard most of their set Saturday, and they played from 11:30 straight through until about 1:30 a.m. The guys in the band are very approachable and friendly, and signed items for both of us.
Sunday - the Band Together benefit for victims of Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Ophelia. The LMGC and I managed to make it to the Lincoln Theatre by about 11:15. A.M. Yes, we were there early to help. One of the early laughs of the day came when we were being told about the legal drinking age....anyone born on September 25, 1984 could drink. OUCH. Collective groan from the volunteers.
Scary highlight of the day - being miked by a news reporter from a local station who was doing a piece on the benefit. I was in a millisecond of footage and my contribution to the footage is "Can I help you? Thank you!" Oh boy.
It was neat to be able to see bands like The Woods and Arrogance, whom I've heard of, but never heard, as I was too young to know about them or appreciate them in their heyday.
The VibeKillers are one of the LMGC's faves (he loves him some Chip Robinson), but I did enjoy the two, count 'em, two songs they did that I knew. The LMGC didn't know their cover of "Swingin'" was a Tom Petty song, but I did. For the record, something like that doesn't happen very often, as he is a fount of knowledge of most things musical.
All in all, a great weekend of music and fun, one to be remembered for quite some time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home