Thursday, June 22, 2006

End of an era?

News of the closing of the Ramshead Rathskeller (aka "The Rat") in Chapel Hill hits me hard. It was the first place I ever ate out in Chapel Hill, during CTOPS (freshman orientation) way back in '89. I had lasagna that night, the first of many to come, along with their specialty drink, the "Tar Heel." I remember it being a light blue frozen concoction that tasted like coconut. Being 17, I had the non-alcoholic version and I bought my glass etched with the restaurant logo. It sits in a place of reverence on a bookcase in my parents' house to this day.
I've enjoyed many meals at The Rat in the seventeen (OMG) years since. It was a treat to introduce the LMGC to the wonders of The Rat's lasagna. A bowl of cheese soup with a stray noodle, it's often been called. Their house dressing and garlic bread are pretty high on my list as well.
We're keeping fingers and paws crossed that The Rat will reopen soon. Chapel Hill has lost too many of its landmarks already, and I hate for this special restaurant to be added to that list.
Pictures from March 2006 - exterior door and the "jungle room"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home