Thursday, August 25, 2005

Third Grade Nothing??

Our newly hired 3rd grade teacher is from Canada and won't arrive until after Labor Day (Sept. 5th), so we've arranged a long-term substitute until then. Very good. EXCEPT. The sub couldn't come today and tomorrow. So in the interest of continuity for the kids and not having a revolving door of subs, I get picked to teach the class for a few days. ME. The Reading Coach. Who has not been in a third grade classroom since she was sitting in a desk looking up at the teacher. Ack.
Ten years of teaching first grade and kindergarten did not prepare me for third grade. I had taught about one-third of the kids in first grade, and knew many of the others. But third graders are a completely different animal than first graders. I'm sure there are people born to teach third grade, people who love third graders. That would not be me.
A sub for the sub (got that?) did come after a little while, so when I finished some of what I wanted to do with the kids, I turned it over to her, went back to the confines of my teensy office, and thanked God/Allah/Xenu that I was out of there.
I talked with one of our new 1st grade teachers today, whose experience has been with 4th and 5th grade until now. She had the same "fish out of water" feelings during the day and said "I'll trade you!" with desperation in her voice.
Any day, hon. Any day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home