Monday, September 12, 2005

Weekend update

Minus Dennis Miller.
Took Maggie to the vet Saturday morning. Maggie is not people-friendly, but behaved well (for her) in the lobby and exam room. When I tried to hold her for her heartworm test, it was all over. I had muzzled her for safety, and she thrashed and jerked around, knocking the glasses off my face. The vet gave up and issued me tranquilizers to dose Maggie up with before the next visit. After hearing Maggie's story, the vet concluded that she probably has "disinhibition syndrome" caused by the anesthesia when she was spayed. The vet says in some dogs, the anesthesia triggers an overstimulation of the "fight or flight" response, as we see in Maggie. Of course, when we got back out to the car, she was fine.

Got home and took a few doggie pictures. Brought Cerberus inside, turned my back for a minute, and Archie went out the not-so-closed back door. I took off after him. I ended up following him all through the woods, like some scene out of The Blair Witch Project. There were times when I couldn't follow him because the foliage was so dense. He went through the woods behind my house, behind my neighbor's house, and up through the woods beside her house, across the creekbed...and to the road. I was almost in tears from fear of him being near the road. A car went by, and I knew if I heard a dull thump, I would vomit. But luckily, Archie didn't chase the car. He did run along the road for a bit, and darted across to another neighbor's yard. They were making some kind of noise that attracted him. When I realized he was running their way, I yelled, "He's friendly! He got away from me! Grab him if he comes near you!" and thankfully, they did. By the time I caught up with him, I was in the throes of a full-on asthma attack. I put a finger through his collar and led him back home, coughing and wheezing the whole way. As we rounded the back corner of the house, we were met with a BARRROOOOOO from Lily, who had run out the open door as I had bolted after Archie. But she had stayed put, or at least had come back to the house. There she was, sitting pretty as you please, waiting for Mommy and her big brother to come home. Of course I had to ask Archie, "Why can't you be more like her?"

So after all THAT hullabaloo, I managed to make it to Chapel Hill to the "No Depression" 10th anniversary show at the Cat's Cradle. Sally Spring opened, and I enjoyed her so much, I bought a CD. Chris Stamey performed next, and was a good listen as well. Tres Chicas' beautiful harmonies gave me goose bumps. And the Two Dollar Pistols honky-tonked my sandals off. Funny quote of the night from TDP singer John Howie, who has THE deepest voice I've ever heard (the LGMC says "his voice makes my testicles vibrate): "We were gonna play an Alex Chilton song, since he was missing in New Orleans...but they found him...so nevermind."

Did a little shopping on Franklin Street and around the Hill with the LMGC. Favorite purchase of the weekend, moonshine crunch from A Southern Season.....yum, that stuff is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home