Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Locomotive 8, southern crescent

I fell in love with New Orleans when I was there in July. Although I didn't get to see as much of it as I would have liked, I had a wonderful experience. I felt so comfortable so quickly there. The LMGC, the Divageek, and I were even tossing around some ideas about spending Thanksgiving in the Big Easy. I had already mentally planned cemetery and voodoo tours, trips to the zoo and aquarium, and more shopping.
It's doubtful that will happen now. I can't see the city regaining much normalcy by then, much less being ready for tourists. NOLA will suffer a big loss in that area, I'm sure. The tourism industry pumps money in year-round, not just at Mardi Gras.
The song that's been floating around in my head since Sunday morning, when we first heard the bad news that Katrina was headed toward NOLA, has been "City of New Orleans," by Arlo Guthrie. Although it has more to do with trains than the actual city of NOLA, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. Which is interesting, considering my other NOLA related song, R.E.M.'s "Driver 8" (see post title) is about trains as well. Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home